We said nothing when a world-class adventurer was turned into a dominatrix.
Or when a quiet and introverted man was turned into an intimidating force.
Or when a revered professor was turned into an obscure psychopath.
Or when an eerie and mysterious bog was turned into a minefield.
If we can overlook that, then surely you can overlook the liberties taken with Elementary. Because really, you’re two separate branches from the same tree.
the Sherlock Holmes Readers
I agree with the sentiments of this post, but feel the pedantic need to point out that Irene Adler was not a “world-class adventurer”— she was a “well-known adventuress.” Now, that term could mean “lady who has adventures” but in this case, what with the sleeping-with-and-blackmailing-kings, Conan Doyle more likely meant “lady who uses her vagina to gain influence and wealth.” Or, as the OED puts it, “a woman who looks for chances of personal advancement, esp. by using her sexuality.” So, she was always more of a Satine than a Marion Ravenwood, and turning her into a dominatrix is not such a huge leap.
This concludes our day’s lesson on historical word usage and meanings. Please feel free to go about your business.
- glitterosthyvel likes this
- 2-4-6-so-done likes this
- dashkiin reblogged this from geothebio
- acciojoanwatson likes this
- blaskmin likes this
- orangemousie reblogged this from sherlockxfile
- damnsmartblueboxes likes this
- alpestris likes this
- hackingangel reblogged this from midnightroseprincess
- phoenixuncaged likes this
- lilmissbizarre reblogged this from daenarystormborn
- dreadxpiratess reblogged this from blameitonthesilence
- mollyelizatea likes this
- trust-me-im-a-whovian reblogged this from im-sooo-changable
- sherlala reblogged this from im-sooo-changable
- sherlala likes this
- im-sooo-changable reblogged this from 221t-tardis-st
- 221t-tardis-st reblogged this from emilidris
- emilidris reblogged this from blameitonthesilence
- lead-based-paint likes this
- saint-just likes this
- yrs-for-ever reblogged this from milvertons
- annie-wyatt likes this
- milvertons reblogged this from hellotailor
- companion-in-training likes this
- twelvejammiedodgers-andafez likes this
- jamiebearfancypants reblogged this from phoenix-ghost-hunter
- leijonofheart likes this
- andimjavert likes this
- sillylaureate reblogged this from whatdoyoumeeeeean-howamidoing
- sillylaureate likes this
- whatdoyoumeeeeean-howamidoing reblogged this from phoenix-ghost-hunter
- whatdoyoumeeeeean-howamidoing likes this
- phoenix-ghost-hunter reblogged this from caffeinatedqueer
- sunshineinmyveins likes this
- eggsmate reblogged this from comtessedebussy
- abramichellemorris likes this
- stm117 likes this
- lauraroslins reblogged this from blameitonthesilence
- randomwhisky reblogged this from caffeinatedqueer
- perse88 likes this
- sierra-hotel-echo-romeo likes this
- ranyakumo likes this
- logicalabsurdity likes this
- logicalabsurdity reblogged this from evil-bones-mccoy
- moonlitehunter reblogged this from flamesofatimelord
- flamesofatimelord reblogged this from blameitonthesilence
- redandbluebowties reblogged this from blameitonthesilence